Located in the Northern area of Thailand along the Ping River, breathtaking Chiang Mai is situated amongst the highest mountains in the country, surrounded by lush forests. Dubbed the cultural capital of Thailand, Chiang Mai has been awarded the title of Creative City by The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization, and repeatedly received recognition as one of the top destinations in the world.
The climate of Chiang Mai is that of the tropical savanna; with low latitude and relatively high elevation, the weather is warm to hot year-round. With over 300 Buddhist temples to visit, you will have no shortage of stunning architecture to marvel over. Chiang Mai also has its fair amount of museums, botanical gardens, and street markets full of exquisite local treasures and foods. The surrounding areas are verdant and mountainous, with national parks for trekking, Hill Tribes to visit for cultural immersion, and elephant reserves that you may visit for opportunities to volunteer.
WHAT TO PACK
- Lightweight pants and skirts, sundresses, shorts, yoga pants, tunics
- Baby wipes, it’s very humid and you might want to keep your face clean!
- Lightweight scarf or shawl to cover your shoulders inside temples
- Swimsuit, hiking shoes, comfortable sandals, and water shoes
- Comfortable sandals and sneakers for walking around the city
- Lightweight hiking pants and shirts with long sleeves for mosquito protection
- Waterproof phone case and waterproof backpack or bag
- Natural sunscreen and bug repellent
Cafes Not to Miss
Where to Stay
137 Pillars House
The Dhara Dhevi Resort
Check out another of our Wanderlust Destinations in Santorini, Greece!